Open Gym: Mon – Thurs. 6 PM – 8 PM; Sat. 10 AM – 2 PM
Open gym hours are subject to change based on special events.
Office Hours: Mon. – Fri. 2 PM – 6 PM
Emmett Scott Center History
In 1920, the Emmett Scott School, the first public school for African Americans in Rock Hill opened. The school served all twelve grades until 1956 when it was changed to the Emmett Scott High School. In 1960, the McGirt Auditorium opened and was used for homecomings, pageants, student assemblies and performances. The auditorium was named for the longest serving of the six principals, Ralph Waldo McGirt. McGirt was the principal from 1938 until his death in 1959.
With integration, the school closed in 1970. The City of Rock Hill purchased the property and renovated it into a recreation center with the auditorium remaining in use. The McGirt Auditorium was renovated in 2024, providing a beautiful, modern performance venue for plays, concerts, dance competitions and other events. Learn More
Hours: Open Daily; Dawn to Dusk